December is here, which for a lot of the country means snowy weather and freezing temperatures. However, winter in Southern California equals glorious days of warm weather and maybe some rain. If you’ve spent much of your life living somewhere with four seasons, or just want to experience a true winter, here are some of the best places to enjoy winter in Southern California.
- Idyllwild. This mountaintop community in Riverside County enjoys light snowfall in the winter. There isn’t any skiing, so it won’t be as crowded as other mountain areas.
- Baldy. Located just minutes from any spot in Orange County, this is a popular location for skiing, snowboarding, tubing, and just some fun playing in the snow.
- Big Bear Lake. For a bit more of a drive, head to Big Bear Lake. You can stay at the resort or just spend the day snowshoeing or building a snowman.
For those of us who want to feel like they’re in a winter wonderland, without the actual cold and snow, here are a few Christmas-themed events to try.
- Mission Inn Festival of Lights. This is one of the most popular holiday destinations in Southern California. It’s free, but can get crowded, especially on the weekends.
- Newport Boat Parade. This parade is a five-day event running from December 14th-18th. Participants put a lot of effort into decorating their extravagant yachts with holiday lights.
What is your favorite way to enjoy winter in Southern California?