You can never fully anticipate a car accident, but you can be prepared for one. After you’ve been in an accident, there are a few things you should do to make the follow-up as simple and stress-free as possible.
- Pause and take a deep breath. Staying calm is very important.
- Check yourself for injuries first, and then assess your passengers. If you’re unsure about anyone’s injuries, call an ambulance. This is absolutely one of those situations in which the phrase “better safe than sorry” applies.
- Turn on your hazard lights.
- In the case of a minor accident, move the involved vehicles to a safer place, away from traffic. In high-volume areas, there is often a nearby crash investigation site, which will allow emergency officials to get to you quicker and easier.
- Call the police for any sort of accident.
- Call your insurance agent to report any sort of accident.
After you’ve been in an accident, things can rush at you pretty quickly, so let us reiterate step one: stay calm. You’ll find it more helpful to yourself and all those involved in the accident if you can keep an even keel.
If you require any repairs after an accident, our technicians are standing by at DeLillo Chevrolet’s service center.